Who will win the next Australian election?

Our model combines public opinion polling and historical election data to predict the number of seats each party will win at the next Australian federal election on May 21 2022.
1 hour ago

63.7%

Labor win majority

26.2%

Minority government

10.1%

Coalition win majority

Will the ALP or the Coalition win more seats?

The average result in our forecast has the ALP winning 12 more seats than the Coalition at the next election resulting in an ALP government.

Our forecast accounts for uncertainty in opinion polling and predicts the likelihood of a range of possible outcomes. At the moment, there is an 80% chance that the result of the election is somewhere between the ALP winning 31 more seats than the Coalition and the Coalition winning 7 more seats than the ALP. We expect this range to get smaller as we approach election day.

How are the chances changing?

Here’s how the chances of the different outcomes have changed recently and what we forecast they will be before election day.

How many seats will the ALP, the Coalition, and the crossbench win?

Our most likely forecast has the ALP winning 77 seats, the Coalition winning 67 seats, and 7 MPs sitting on the crossbench resulting in a ALP government.

While that is the most likely outcome, our forecast indicates the ALP has a 63.7% chance to win 76 or more seats and form majority government. Likewise, the Coalition has a 10.1% chance to form majority government. We predict there is a 26.2% chance neither party win 76 or more seats resulting in a minority government.

How are the predicted seats changing?

Here’s how the number of seats we expect the ALP and Coalition to win have changed recently and what we forecast they will be before election day.

Who will win the national two-party preferred vote?

Our mean forecast has the ALP winning the national two-party preferred vote 52.2% to 47.8%.

Our forecast incorporates uncertainty from public opinion polling and produces a range of possible outcomes. At the moment, there is an 80% chance the national two-party preferred vote will be between the ALP winning 51.1% to 48.9% and the ALP winning 53.4% to 46.6%. We expect this range to narrow as we get closer to election day.

How is the two-party preferred vote changing?

Here’s how the two-party preferred vote has changed recently and what we forecast it will be before election day.